Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Meetings cancelled...again

May 28, 2008

Ah, there was a wonderful breeze last night that cooled things down a lot. I didn't even have to sleep with the fan blowing on me. But I had to still turn the fan on low just because I'm so used to the noise!

Today was another disappointing attempt to have a meeting with the lay midwives. I got a ride over to the centro de salud and it was empty. The doctor that is there sometimes was sitting out front chatting with someone. Neither of the nurses were there, so everything was cancelled. He said one lay midwife showed up earlier in the morning but they told her the general monthly meeting was cancelled because there were no nurses, so she left. He said they may try to contact them for a meeting next week, but I doubt if that will happen. They would have to send people off into the mountains to track them all down! We'll see if that happens or not. Hopefully the meeting tomorrow in Rio Esteban will go better...or at least go! :)

My little 7 mo baby with bilateral club feet came in today for a checkup after his surgery. He is doing well. When we were coming back from Balfate after the nonexistent meeting I saw the family going down the road on a donkey, holding an umbrella over the baby to keep the sun off his face. It hit me that they will be traveling like that for the next 3-4 hours to get home! Incredible! And you guys think its a long ways to drive into Denver!!!

One of my patients from the Cayos Cochinos came in today and she said the ocean was really rough this morning because of the wind and she almost didn't come. But she didn't want to miss her appointment, so she came anyway but she was feeling really seasick because of the rough ride. Poor thing! She was really excited to hear that we plan to come out there to see patients starting in July. She told me to let her know when I was coming and she would cook me some fish!

No comments: