Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sleeping through the night...

Jasmine slept until 6:30 this morning! No waking up to pee or play at 3am! Finally! I hope this becomes routine for her. She is doing well sleeping in her crate. By the time I'm ready for bed, she's usually been passed out on the floor a couple hours already, so she gladly goes into her crate for the night. So, I'm the night owl and she's a morning-dog. I'll have to teach her how to sleep in. She wants to play in the morning and I can barely stumble down the stairs to take her to the bathroom. I still carry her up and down the stairs because I don't have enough patience that early in the morning to coax her down each step. She's terrified of stairs. (mostly because she does a lot of face plants!) Her legs seem to be getting longer every day and she's having trouble keeping up! Lets just say she's not the most coordinated puppy! :)

She loves her blue squeeky ball. When I first showed it to her and made it squeek, it scared her and she ran away. (yes, ferocious guard dog in the making...) But now she carries it around making it squeek and kicking it with her front paws and then chasing it.
Hannah and I had the bright idea of taking her on a walk a few days ago at about 1pm. It was a really hot day and the sun was relentless. We walked over to the bilingual school and it was miserably hot and Jasmine was panting like crazy. After a little rest, we started back, but it was even hotter on the road and she kept trying to escape and lay under the bushes in the shade. We were only about half way back when she just stopped in the middle of the road, panting and hanging her head and refused to move. She looked terrible and suddenly I was afraid I was going to give my little 8wk puppy heat stroke! So, I picked her up and carried her. Fortunately, a fellow missionary was driving by on his motorcycle so we put Hannah in front and me and Jasmine on the back and that cut about 10-15 minutes off our walk. When we got to my apartment I got out a hose to spray Jasmine off. At first she flinched, but then she just stood there while I hosed her (and me) off with cold water. That thick fur coat just wasn't made for tropical heat! Maybe we'll start with shorter walks....in the evening!

2 comments:

Jonesy said...

Our puppies were always super hyper in the mornings too. It took time, but we finally got them used to sleeping in. Now we all lay around until 10am on the weekends. There's hope!

TheCeiba said...

Lisa Marcela is still not sleeping through the night! What a cute puppy! I heard you have moved into a different place?