Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Howler Monkeys

I’ve written before about our noisy neighbors the howler monkeys. They live in the trees just outside of staff housing where my apartment is. They are brownish, black monkeys that travel in troops, this one being about 14 strong by a recent count. They usually come to our trees in the dusk and the males proceed to announce their presence with loud howling that echoes through the treetops. Moms and babies hop from tree to tree and hang upside down from branches to eat the leaves. A few days ago they came out early while there was still sufficient sunlight to take some photos. I was so excited! Usually they turn out as a dark blur when it is dusk, but I was able to get a few good photos that aren’t too washed out. The last one is a large male hanging upside down with the sunlight streaming through his poofed out hair. I thought that looked pretty cool. I thanked them for coming out when I could take photos so that people will actually believe me that I have monkeys in my backyard.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Cool pic of the illuminated howler monkey.

Between your close talking patients and your howler monkey neighbors, I hope you have some personal refuge and quiet time.

Have you met a woman with "man hands" yet? :)

Any friendly capuchin or squirrel monkeys in the neighborhood? Cute primates without all the howling business . . .

Anonymous said...

Wow! What great pictures of the monkeys. Any photographer would be proud to have gotten those shots. Good work, Rina!