Friday, October 17, 2008

Don't wear flip flops in the mud

One of the most important lessons I have learned this week is that you should never wear flimsy flip flops in thick mud that is stickier than molasses. It makes for great difficulty in walking.

Norma and I went up to the mountains to meet with a community health nurse about an upcoming outreach to the mountain villages nearby. It had been raining for 4-5 days and there was plenty of mud everywhere! The car had no problems, but my feet were not so good! I had worn my lovely flip flops that rinse off easily, thinking we would be walking through a river and I didn't want to get my boots wet. Unfortunately, our trek led us down a very sticky red clay road and up a cow trail covered with cow patties and slick mud. About 10 steps from the car Norma did a classic "slipped on a banana peel" maneuver and landed square on her bottom. Once we could contain our giggles and move on, I started leaving a flip flop behind with nearly every step! My foot would sink completely into the mud and the suction wouldn't let me pull the flip flop out! It was very frustrating and made for slow progress! Where there were no obvious sticks and rocks, I just went barefoot and squished through the manure laden mud, trying to imagine that I was actually getting a very expensive mud treatment that was very good for my skin! :) I have to admit that on more than one occasion, Norma and I mistook a soft squishy cow patty for a solid rock and rather than finding a stable foothold, found ourselves sliding back down the hill. Ick! Unfortunately, all that trekking through mud was to no avail because the river was too high to cross and the nurse was not able to come meet us. We'll have to try again next week, this time with proper footwear!
This photo is after I had washed off my feet. I was actually covered in red clay up to my ankles most of the time! And you should have seen the splashes of mud on our backsides and even in our hair!!!

No comments: