Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Visa trip

Every 90 days, the government of Honduras has the courtesy to kick us out of the country for at least 72 hours to renew our visas. Don't ask why. Maybe just to make our lives more difficult? They are very good at that!
I should have been very excited about going to Costa Rica with my dear friend Amy, but I was too stressed out the week before to even participate in the fun of planning the trip. (craziness of visitors, lay midwife meetings, complicated medical cases, putting a dog to sleep, Don Goyo getting electrocuted, Erlin dying....) However, once I arrived and spent some time hiking in the jungle and laying on the beach, I loosened up plenty! Now, I am so grateful for the break and the time to spend with Amy.
We stayed in a really cool hostel overlooking the beach at Manual Antonio national park and then headed up to Arenal Volcano (which is still active). We stayed in a hostel called Gringo Pete's for only $4 per night. What a steal! Then we found a local eatery with the "plato typico" of beans and rice and chicken and fried plantains and tortillas for only $2. I wish all of Costa Rica was that cheap! We played in the hot springs and Amy swung from the Tarzan rope over the river and we saw all four types of monkeys in Costa Rica. Then we went up to Poas Volcano which is a huge crater with a lake. We went to a series of 5 waterfalls (my knees nearly pooped out on me with all the downhill!) and a butterfly enclosure and saw toucans and hummingbirds and poison dart frogs and more monkeys. Very good time. Not to mention all the interesting people along the way from the noisy Israelis, to the sleep talking roommie, to the recluse, park ranger, gardening guy who was great company, to the stuttering Floridian, to the cute "Global Routes" team leader, to the British girls planning to create a written language from a "click" language in Namibia.... No lack of interesting characters.

For all you coffee addicts or afficionados or whatever you call yourselves....you must go to Costa Rica. When you arrive in the airport, there is free coffee in the gift shops and chocolate covered coffee beans to try! There was awesome coffee at each hostel we stayed at and any major gift shop or touristy area. I drank more coffee in one week than I have all year and I didn't buy a single cup!

No comments: