Sunday, August 19, 2007

Honduran Church


August 12, 2007

Church was lovely! Ten of us sqeezed into Norma’s SUV and drove down the bumpy road to the village of La Colonia, picking up a few kids on the way. The service started with all the kids getting up front and singing songs, hand motions and all. Then some announcements, which of course included my illustrious introduction. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t have to go forward and sing a song (Lord help them!) or share my testimony. We sang more songs. Multiple songs all to the same “Honduran Christian Chorus” rhythm and then a few familiar hymns. The preacher was pretty good, though a bit long-winded. About half way through I was focusing more on the sweat dripping down my face and the hot heavy air in my lungs than on his sermon. By the time church was over, it was so stifling inside that everyone rushed outside to visit in the fresh air. Then we stuffed about 15 people into Norma’s SUV to head back. There were a jillion little kids in the back of the car, with the pastor squished somewhere in the middle! I have a pretty funny photo!

No comments: